Getting a Dog? Things You Should Consider
What type of dog suits me?
Many factors come into play when getting a dog, and you should start by considering your life situation when choosing a dog breed. First of all, you need to ask yourself how a dog will fit into your life. Do you have enough time and love to give the dog? What’s happening in your future?
There are many questions that need to be answered, for both your and the dog’s sake. In addition to food and love, dogs also need physical activity and mental stimulation, and these require commitment from you.
However, if your answer to the question of whether you should get a dog is still a resounding YES, then it’s time to choose the breed.
Choose a dog breed according to:
- Your living conditions. If you live in an apartment, it’s more appropriate to get a smaller dog.
- Do you have children? Some breeds are better suited to children than others.
- How much activity and training will you be able to give your dog daily? Choose a dog whose energy level suits your situation.
- Does someone in your family have allergies? Some dogs shed more than others.
- Have you had a dog before? Some breeds are more demanding than others and may be better suited to more experienced dog owners.
How to take care of your dog
Dogs need plenty of love and care to feel good. We have put together some of our best tips for caring for your dog.
How to take care of your dog:
- Check your dog’s fur every week. Look for sores, pests and skin problems.
- Check the paws to make sure there are no cracks or wounds and trim the claws regularly.
- Make a habit of inspecting the dog’s mouth and teeth regularly. Keep an eye on whether your dog’s teeth have tartar.
- Care for your dog’s fur by combing and brushing and give your dog a bath if necessary. Use dog shampoo when washing your dog.
- Also keep an eye on your dog’s weight.
Take your dog out into nature
Exercise and activity are appreciated by all dogs, and the same is true for their owners. Vary your walks by taking your dog out into the forest, to beaches where they are welcome or to the park. Variety is good for everyone and allows you to discover new places and favourite places together. While enjoying nature, it is also important to keep your dog safe by using a collar and leash, when necessary.
Also, be sure to check whether your dog is allowed at places, such as the beach, before you go there.
Dog reflectors for walking in the dark
To prevent accidents, it is incredibly important to be visible when you are out for walks in the dark. So, in addition to wearing reflectors yourself, you should also make sure that your dog wears some kind of reflector.
Transport your dog safely
When you and your dog are going out for a drive, it is important that your dog is transported safely and comfortably. Here at Biltema you will find lightweight and sturdy dog carriers, which your doggie will enjoy travelling in.
Your dog is your best friend – spoil it a little
When getting a dog, you usually get a best friend as well, and many people want to spoil their doggie that little bit extra sometimes. Perhaps with an extra-long walk in the park or some dog treats when the situation calls for it. But make sure the treats are nutritious and of good quality!
A good night’s sleep in a dog bed
Dogs appreciate some everyday luxury just as much as treats, and this may involve giving your dog the best conditions for a good night’s sleep. This is easily done with one of our soft dog beds, which are also easy to keep clean.